Carlton

Carlton

Carlton

Welcome to the Carlton Cycles enthusiast site.

We are a small team of ex-Carlton engineers dedicated to preserving bicycles of this world renowned marque. We are aiming to provide global specialist support, technical assistance and a source of genuine Carlton bikes and parts with a full renovation service to all enthusiasts of this historical and highly successful British machine.

A short history.

Fred Haystack founded the company in 1898 in the North Nottinghamshire village of Carlton in Lindrick.   In 1900 the business expanded and moved to a garage in Maltby.  In 1918 Fred sold the garage and moved back to Carlton and the focus moved to motorcycles.  In 1922 he produces the first motor cycle which sells for £36.  In 1932 the first "special" bike is built and later Carlton registers as a LTD company.  In 1939 they move to Worksop and start building top end racing cycles.  In 1939 The O'Donovan family take over.  In the 50's Gerald O'Donovan takes the helm and in 1960  TI Raleigh take over Carlton and racing legend Reg Harris joins the board for a short period.

In 1962, fire burns the Dock Road factory to the ground and production moves to Kilton. In 1968, Carlton-BMB start racing on the continent.  In 1970 Australian Gordie Johnson becomes World Professional Sprint Champion and the following year again with Lijn Loevesijn.   In 1972 the Carlton team name disappears for good and becomes TI Raleigh.  Special products move to Ilkeston in Derbyshire headed by Gerald O'Donovan.  In 1973  the factory employs 340 people and production reaches 2.500 per week.  1980 sees a slow down in demand and 29th May 1981, after 83 years of production the factory is closed and production continues on a small scale at Raleigh in Nottingham.